Entry conditions and residence information for Canadians


Researchers coming to Germany require a valid passport when entering Germany. This passport must be valid at least until the end of their stay in Germany. Please do not vary the spelling of your name.

In order to stay in Germany for semi-annual visits of more than three months visitors from Canada must have a valid residence title.


Canadian citizens may enter Germany on a valid passport within the framework of the research fellowship. They must apply for a residence permit no later than three months after arrival in Germany.


  1. Procedure for longer stay visas:
    Visa applications must be approved by the relevant aliens authority in Germany, i.e. the aliens authority in the place where the applicant intends to take up residence.

  2. Time required for visa application: 
    The approval procedure usually takes up to three months, in some cases longer, since the aliens authority will often consult other authorities (e.g. the Federal Employment Agency)


For addresses and further important information, please consult the German Federal Foreign Office or the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.

  • National Visa: Applicant plans to stay within Germany for more than three months, e.g. for a course of study. Fee is 30 Euro.

  • Hybrid Visa: Applicants wishing to stay in Germany for a period of more than 90 days but needing to travel to another Schengen country within the first three months of their stay (e.g. scientists). The fee for a hybrid visa is 60 Euro.

  • Schengen Visa: Valid for travel to 15 Schengen countries including a stay of up to 90 days. The fee is 60 Euro.Residence permit

Well before the visa expires, you must apply to the local Aliens’ Registration Office for a residence permit. As the necessary procession often takes several weeks, you are recommended to make this application as soon as possible. The following documents usually have to be submitted:The registration document from the Residents’ Registrations Office where you are registered in Germany


  • Proof of health insurance cover valid in Germany

  • In certain cases, a health certificate issued by a regsitered physician in Germany

  • A valid passport

  • In certain cases, the originals of birth certificates and, if applicable, marriage certificates

  • A recent passport photograph

  • The AvH identity card or a copy of the AvH award letter

  • A certificate issued by the AvH stating the period and value of the research fellowship

  • Completed application forms for a residence permit, forms are obtainable here


When applying for a residence permit, you are frequently required to submit the originals of birth certificates and, if applicable, marriage certificates.


When applying for child-raising or parental allowance, applicants are required by the authorities to submit proof of income for the last two years.


In case of illness, also bring your vaccination certificate with you.

Research fellows must register with the Residents’ Registration Office within one week of finding accommodation. This also applies to accompanying family members. Any change of address during the stay in Germany has to be registered with the appropriate Residents’ Registration Office within one week.

It is recommended to bring about 4 to 6 passport photographs with you. This will help to save time in settling formalities.


For more detailed information, please click here.